By now, we’d be surprised if you hadn’t heard about the upcoming film, THE LEGO MOVIE, to be released in 2014. With all the excitement building, The LEGO Group and Warner Bros. want to give you a chance to take part –
by having your brick film featured in the upcoming movie!
Got your attention? Great! Here's what we want you to do:
Between March 25th and May 6th, submit your video on ReBrick. The top 25 films with the most community votes will enter a final round of judging, and the winning video will be included in the upcoming movie!
The setup is that the evil Lord Business (played by nice guy Will Ferrell) is going to destroy the entire LEGO world. Emmet, the hero of our movie, inspires all of the citizens of the LEGO world to go out and create cool stuff that will stop him.
We need YOU to help make that cool stuff in LEGO bricks and then shoot your character creating that cool stuff on camera to use in our movie.
Here's how you're going to do it:
1. Setup your scene in one of our approved locations (You might know them as some of your favorite LEGO® themes: LEGO City, Space, Pirates, Western, Vikings, Dino, Castle, LEGO Pharaoh’s Quest, Adventurers, Atlantis, LEGO Ninjago, and Power Miners). In movie terms, this is your "set". This could be an original set you designed based off these themes or with models you’ve purchased. You should frame your shots so that we can see your set and only your set (we don't want to see parts of your basement or your garage in the scene!). There should only be LEGO bricks and LEGO Minifigures in the frame, and nothing that isn't elements from the LEGO collection (no other toys, no thumb tacks, no needle-nose pliers, no...Well, you get the idea). Also, do not destroy your set after building, if you win, we might need you to reshot different scenes!
Okay so now that you've set your shot in your location, you'll want to establish your character. Keep in mind your character should only be from LEGO Group created IPs, such as LEGO City, Knights and Kingdom, etc. and should NOT be from a LEGO Group licensed set such as Star Wars or Harry Potter. Think regular folks! Your hero should be someone appropriate to the environment of your set. He or she needs to have a vehicle, a piece of equipment or some part of their environment that they can take apart and turn into something else! In movie terms, that's called your hero's "prop".
Take a look at the frame below. That's the kind of idea we want you to start with. To demonstrate, we choose something simple and clear: A LEGO CITY truck vender and his truck! (Hero = Truck Vender, Truck = Prop) Alright, now, what's he going to do?
2. In order to stop the bad guy, the people of the LEGO world must create weird, fun and hilarious ships, rockets, speedboats, mecha-walkers...or, if you want, just a funny new construction that no one's ever seen before. The stranger, the better. Look, we don't want to tell you what your hero needs to create with his prop, that's up to you. But he's got to turn his prop into something else in order to stop the bad guy.
Now remember, your whole clip can only be 15 - 30 seconds long. That's not a lot of time. So your hero needs to build fast. Take a look at the second instruction panel. Have fun with how quick and clever your hero is able to reconstruct his prop into something else (that "something else" we'll call your "creation").
3. Voila! Here's where we reveal his creation. In our example: A duck jet plane! Now it's time for your hero to strut his or her stuff (or their stuff if you have more than one hero)! Make them dance, high-five, jump for joy and celebrate what they've created!
Annnnnndddddd...you're done. Whew! Nice job. We can't wait to see what you make!
For more details, please read the rules in short as well as the Official Rules and Regulations at the bottom of this post.
RULES IN SHORT:
- The building contest is open to all users 16 years and older holding a ReBrick account. The voting process is open to all users holding a ReBrick account.
- To submit an entry: The video must be uploaded to YouTube (videos submitted from other sources, such as Vimeo or Flickr might not play on ReBrick and will inhibit voting) and then bookmarked in the Building Challenge category. Make sure to add the extended link and not the short URL (on YouTube choose ‘share’ and then fold down ‘options’ and check the ‘long link’ box), otherwise the video wouldn’t play on ReBrick.
- Entries must incorporate the theme of LEGO Minifigures modifying structures in their environment to fight the bad guy.
The setting of the film must be from the following themes: LEGO City, Space, Pirates, Western, Vikings, Dino, Castle, Pharaoh’s Quest, Adventurers, Atlantis, LEGO Ninjago, and Power Miners. Please do not use any elements from any other themes.
- The contest begins March 25th 2013 at 9:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time (EST). Entries submitted to ReBrick before this date and time will not be accepted into the contest. The competition is open for submissions until May 6th 2013 at 8:59 A.M. EST.
- Video must be between 15 - 30 seconds. Movies with animation longer than 30 seconds will be disqualified.
- You must capture your images using a camera that is at least 3.2 megapixels, which will be cropped to fit our aspect ratio (2.40:1 aspect ratio). You must frame your film within that aspect ratio.
- Your video may have music so long as it is not copyrighted by a third party, but should your movie win and be included in the motion picture music will be removed. There should be no dialogue.
- Any LEGO Minifigures featured in your film should only be from LEGO Group created IPs, such as LEGO City, Knights and Kingdom, etc. and should NOT be from a LEGO Group licensed set such as Star Wars or Harry Potter.
- This jury will review the 25 bookmarks with most likes and select one (1) grand prize winner, one (1) second place winner, and one (1) third place winner. The 25 semi-finalist videos will be reviewed based on creativity, originality and theme.
- The jury will consist of:
- Kevin Hinkle, North American Community Coordinator at the LEGO Group
- Phil Lord, Director of THE LEGO MOVIE
- Chris Miller, Director of THE LEGO MOVIE
- Chris McKay, Co-Director of THE LEGO MOVIE
- Official Judging will begin at 9:00 A.M. EST on May 13th 2013 and will end at 9:00 A.M. EST on May 20th 2013.
- Entries must only contain elements from the LEGO® collection and no customized parts. Any use of the LEGO logo will also result in disqualification.
- All entries and entrants must follow the ReBrick House Rules.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow the official rules. Any form of cheating will result in a banning of user profile from ReBrick.
One (1) grand winner will receive a prize of:
- The chance to be featured during a scene in THE LEGO MOVIE.
- A trip to WB Studios with Deluxe VIP Tour for 2 with a 2-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, airfare included.
- A trip to meet the directors of the movie to take part in a LEGO Build with 2-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, airfare included.
- A customized engraved LEGO ticket to THE LEGO MOVIE designed and built by the official LEGO model shop.
- The full product range of the set from the movie when available, signed by designers.
One (1) second place winner will receive a prize of:
- Trip to WB Studios with Deluxe VIP Tour for 2 with a 2-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, airfare included.
- The full product range of the set from the movie when available, signed by designers.
One (1) third place winner will receive a prize of:
- The full product range of the set from the movie when available, signed by designers.
A number of surprise weekly prizes will also be awarded throughout the contest, further details on those to follow!
Can't find the answer to your question here? Download this FAQ PDF about the contest.
Sara, Signe, Peter and the Team at Warner Bros.
THE LEGO® MOVIE ReBrick Competition - OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MANY WILL ENTER; FEW WILL WIN A PRIZE.
Entrants must be 16 years of age or older at the time of registration in the building Challenge.
The ReBrick Movie Competition (the “Challenge”) is a creative competition where The LEGO Group will challenge the fans of LEGO ReBrick to a movie competition where you get to create and share your own stop-motion movie. You can win LEGO Products and there is a possibility that your movie will also be used in the upcoming THE LEGO MOVIE (the “Film”).
The Challenge begins at March 25th, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. EST (Eastern Standard Time) and runs until May 6th, 2013at 8:59 a.m. EST (“Challenge Period”).
How to enter
To submit a movie ( “Entry”) into the challenge, participants must upload a video to YouTube.com. Once uploaded, entrants must proceed to ReBrick to submit a link to the video. They will be asked to enter their existing LEGO ID and password, or register a new LEGO ID after accepting the Terms of Service. Once registered, participants will be able to submit a “bookmark” of the creation file entry in the Challenge category to be entered into the Challenge. (See “Creation Entry Details” below).
Entry Details: Once registered, entrants can submit Entries into the Challenge by creating and uploading (external site) their own LEGO® video using only pieces from the LEGO® collection. The Entry must be the entrant’s own work. Submit the link to the uploaded video to the special themed category: Building Challenge on ReBrick.
Once you submit your Entry, you will be officially entered into the Challenge. Challenge Entries cannot be revised or altered once submitted. Once submitted, all submitted components become the property of the LEGO Group and will not be returned. Should you experience any difficulties with any aspect of the Challenge, please send an enquiry to LEGO Consumer services and your request will be answered.
How to win
One Grand Prize winner (the “Winner”) ,one second place winner, and one third place winner will be chosen by a LEGO and Warner Bros jury from their favorite Entries submitted in the Challenge Period.
The winning Entry will be judged by the LEGO jury upon:
- Best overall coolness and originality
- Most inspired details
- Best storyline
- Best use of LEGO elements
We want you to make your Entry as amazing as possible. However, you need to consider the following when creating your Entry:
- Entries with military vehicles or vehicles featuring weapons will not be eligible for the Challenge
- Entries containing defamatory elements or degrading elements will not be eligible for the Challenge
- Copies of/or infringements relating to any existing third party property or any other intellectual property right will not be eligible for the Challenge
- Use of any parts not produced by the LEGO Group will result in your Entry being disqualified
- Entry movies should not show recognizable features of any person or any commercial product
- Entries should not have been submitted previously in any competition of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly
- Entries must be made by the user submitting it
- Entries must only contain elements from the LEGO Collection, no movies with modified bricks will be accepted
- Users must capture their video using a camera that is at least 3.2 megapixels, which will be cropped to fit the aspect ratio (2.40:1 aspect ratio)
- Entries must be between 15-30 seconds
- Entrants may not use LEGO Bricks in their Entries that can be clearly identified as part of a third party branded LEGO set (LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, LEGO DC Super Heroes (Batman and Superman), LEGO Cars, LEGO Toy Story, LEGO Lord of the Rings, LEGO Harry Potter, LEGO Indiana Jones, LEGO Prince of Persia, LEGO SpongeBob Squarepants, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean and LEGO Hobbit). Entrants may not use Minifigures from these sets or any decorated pieces that would identify one of these properties if used in an original creation (e.g., include a Batman figurine or SpongeBob, etc.)
The LEGO Group have the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Entries that they deem to be obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, lewd, derogatory, inappropriate, or otherwise not in good taste or harmful to the reputation or brands of LEGO Group and/or Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., its parent, affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “Warner Bros.”)
The odds of winning will depend on the skill and talent of the entrant, and on the number of eligible Challenge Entries received during the Challenge Period.
All winners will be contacted directly by The LEGO Group no later than 14 days after the first day of the month following the Challenge Period.
One (1) grand prize winner (The “Grand Prize Winner”) will receive: a trip to Warner Bros. Studios Burbank with Deluxe Warner Bros. Studio Tour for two (2) with a two (2)-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, with airfare included up to 4,000 $ (USD) per person valued at 9,100 $ (USD); a trip to meet the directors of the Film to take part in a LEGO Build valued at 8,600 (USD); an exclusive LEGO engraved movie ticket from the official LEGO model shop valued at 200 $ (USD) and the full product range of the set from the Film when available, signed by LEGO designers, an estimated value no more of 2,000 $ (USD).
One (1) second place winner will receive: a trip to Warner Bros. Studios Burbank with Deluxe Warner Bros. Studio Tour for two (2) with a two (2)-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, with airfare included up to 4,000 $ (USD) per person, valued at 9,100 $ (USD); the full product range of the set from the Film when available, signed by LEGO designers an estimated value no more of 2,000 $ (USD).
One (1) third place winner will receive: the full product range of the set from the Film when available, signed by LEGO designers an estimated value no more of 2,000 $ (USD).
Six (6) weekly winners will be selected based on criteria to be announced when selected. These prizes include: Tickets to the VIP Warner Bros. Studio Tour valued at 49 $ (USD) per person; Tickets to Deluxe Warner Bros Studio Tour valued at 250 $ (USD) per person; LEGO the Movie t-shirts, posters and merchandise valued at 2,000 $ (USD) ; 200 $ (USD) gift card to Warner Bros. online store; and weekly winner’s Entry featured on the LEGO YouTube channel.
The Grand Prize Winner may also be given the opportunity to have their Entry included in the Film. No additional compensation will be paid by Warner to the Grand Prize Winner if the Grand Prize Winner’s Entry actually appears in the Film. Whether the Grand Prize Winner’s Entry appears in the Film or not is subject to the filmmakers’ sole and absolute discretion and no compensation will be paid to the Grand Prize Winner for whatever reason if his/her Entry does not ultimately appear in the final cut of the Film that is distributed publicly. Eligibility for Prizes will be subject to signing Warner Bros. Prize Acceptance Form (available on request).
These have a maximum total estimated price value of 36,076 $(USD) in retail. No cash or credit alternative is available and the Prizes are not transferable.
Prize Winner’s travel companion must be at time of prize fulfillment the age of majority in the country/jurisdiction in which s/he resides, unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Grand and First Prize winner and guest(s) must possess valid travel documents (i.e., a valid government-issued photo ID, etc.) and travel on the same itinerary.
In the event a Prize winner and/or guest engages in behavior during travel that (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) is obnoxious or threatening, illegal, or that is intended to threaten or harass any other person, or that in any way disparages or adversely affects the reputation, image, and/or customer goodwill of Sponsor or any of Sponsor’s services, products, trademarks, service marks, or logos, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the travel early, and send that Prize winner and/or guest home with no further obligations or compensation whatsoever to Prize winner and/or guest (which may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, result in that Prize winner’s disqualification from the Competition and forfeiture of any (and/or all) prize(s). In the event a Prize winner or guest engages in behavior during travel that (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) is illegal, tortious, or subjects that Prize winner or guest to arrest or detention, Sponsor shall have no obligation to pay any damages, fees, fines, judgments or other costs or expenses of any kind whatsoever incurred by Prize winner or guest as a result of such conduct.
In the event the studio tour is cancelled or postponed for reasons beyond Sponsor’s control, that portion of the prize will be forfeited and no alternate prize will be provided.
The meeting with the directors in connection with the Grand Prize is subject to their availability and is subject to cancellation. If such individuals are unable to attend the meeting associated with the prize, Sponsor will make commercially reasonable efforts to replace such person with another individual associated with the Film. No compensation will be paid in lieu of a cancelled meeting as this portion of the prize has no cash value.
Who May Participate
The Challenge is international; therefore entrants from all countries and with any background are eligible to participate in the Challenge and eligible to win the Prizes, except where prohibited by applicable laws. The Challenge is not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Myanmar/Burma, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Syria, any other U.S. sanctioned country and where prohibited or restricted by law. The Challenge is not open to residents in the state of Quebec. Prizes however, will be awarded in accordance with Danish law.
Employees of companies in the LEGO Group, agencies and companies associated with the LEGO Group, e.g. suppliers related to the product line and the immediate families of such employees are not eligible contestants nor are employees , officers or directors of Warner Bros, or any other person who is directly or indirectly involved in the organization or winning of the Challenge or their direct family members.
Intellectual property rights
You confirm and agree that your Entry is an original work and/or that you have the full rights to use any images, material or rights belonging to a third party contained in your Entry for the purposes outlined herein. By entering this Challenge, you accept that the ownership and all intellectual property rights to your Entry and any materials submitted by you are automatically awarded and completely transferred to LEGO Juris A/S, Koldingvej 2, 7190 Billund, Denmark and Warner Bros. without any limitations to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. To this end, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally assign to or (in the case of moral rights) waiver in favour of LEGO juris A/S (to the extent permitted by applicable law), all rights, title and interest in and to the same. You agree at LEGO’s and/or Warner Bros.’ request, to take all such actions and execute all such documents as may in their sole opinion be necessary to give effect to the foregoing assignment.
You also irrevocably agree to allow the LEGO Group, Warner Bros. and co-marketing partners to reference and use, modify your name, photograph, interests, hometown, biographical information and statements further concerning the Challenge without compensation or notice and all content submitted by you as part of the Challenge in all media anywhere throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional permission or compensation unless prohibited by law.
You will not receive any payment or royalties for the transfer of your Entry or any intellectual property rights, nor will you receive any payment for any products that may be sold in connection hereto.
The LEGO Group and Warner Bros. can use the Entry and any intellectual rights deriving from the Entry without any limitations.
You acknowledge that the producers of the Film as well as other entrants may have created ideas and concepts contained in their submission that may have familiarities or similarities to your own submission, and that he/she will not be entitled to any compensation or right to negotiate with the Lego, Warner Bros. their successors, assigns, licensees and/or respective affiliates because of these familiarities or similarities. Notwithstanding any custom and practice in the industry to pay an individual for an idea (if any), nothing herein shall create an implied or express contract to compensate entrants for their submissions and there is no obligation for Warner Bros. or any affiliated entity to pay or otherwise compensate entrants for any of their ideas or materials in any communications with Lego, whatsoever.
Personal data relating to entrants will be used only for the purpose of this Challenge and post-Challenge publicity unless otherwise clearly stated and accepted by you.
The personal information you have to enter is:
- your name,
- your age,
- address and telephone number, and
- e-mail address.
If you win the Challenge your data will be transferred to Warner Bros. Inc. for the purpose of having your Entry evaluated and possibly having your Entry used in the Film. You hereby consent to such transfer including the transfer of your data to the United States.
The LEGO Group is defined as LEGO System A/S and its subsidiaries as described on http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/
General Terms and Conditions
Prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives. Any applicable taxes, governmental fees, and other expenses resulting from the prize are the sole responsibility of the Winner unless otherwise stated. The LEGO Group reserves the right to substitute a Prize of equal or greater value in the unlikely event that it becomes impractical to award the stated Prize. The Prizes will be shipped no later than 6 weeks after the draw. The Winner is deemed to have received the Prize on the day it was shipped
All Entry materials become the property of the LEGO Group and will not be acknowledged or returned. False, harmful and/or deceptive Entries or acts shall render entrants ineligible.
By entering, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final.
Entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless the LEGO Group and/or Warner Bros. and each of their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns, harmless from and against any and all liability and damages associated with or arising out of an entrant’s participation in this Challenge.
In order to be certified as the Official Winner, the selected Winner must complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Prize Selection and Acceptance, and Release of Liability form, co-signed by the parent or legal guardian of the Winner in the case of a Winner who is under the age of majority in his or her country of residence.
Any Winner who does not return the properly completed documentation within ten (10) days of transmittal will be declared ineligible, and an alternate Winner will be selected.
Any potential Winner who declines to accept a Prize, has violated any of these Official Rules, does not respond to the award notification within the specified time, or is found to be ineligible will be disqualified and an alternative Winner shall be chosen. For a list of Winners, please send request, along with a stamped self-addressed envelope to LEGO ReBrick Movie Challenge Winners List, (LEGO Company, 33 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 3UF, UK) not later than May 27, 2013.
All Prizes to be awarded. In no case will more than the stated number of Prizes be awarded.
The LEGO Group reserves the right to alter, amend or close this Challenge if necessary. The LEGO Group reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Challenge or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. The use of any device or computer software program to automate the entry process is prohibited.
The LEGO Group is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human error; typographical or transcription error; technical malfunctions; failures, omission, interruption, deletion, or defect of any telephone network computer online systems, computer equipment, servers, providers, or software, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Challenge; inability to access any web site, theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; or transactions that are processed late or incorrectly or are incomplete or lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any web site, or printing or other errors.
Identity of the Sponsor
This Challenge is sponsored by LEGO System A/S, Aastvej 1, 7190 Billund, Denmark
The LEGO Group can be contacted in relation to the Challenge by writing a letter to LEGO Company Ltd., 33 Bath Road, Slough SL13UF, Great Britain, or by phone +441753495000 or by writing an e-mail to: ReBrick@lego.com.
LEGO, the LEGO logo, the LEGO Creator logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group of Companies. © 2013 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.
// End of Official Rules //
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., its parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, are not responsible for the administration or execution of this Competition.
Download the FAQ.