What is an AFOL? An Adult Fan of LEGO® products, yes, but how would you describe one to someone outside the LEGO Community? Can you do it in under 2 minutes? In a Brickfilm using LEGO elements and stop motion animation?
The company Futuristic Films is currently working on Brickumentary, a documentary to showcase the amazing work that can be done with LEGO pieces. What better way to do so than to highlight work by a Brickfilmer?
Whether you consider yourself to be an AFOL or not, how would you bring to life in a short film what it means to be an AFOL? Don’t be afraid to have a little fun with it…
The best submission or arrangement of a few top picks will be considered for play time in the final film, or featured on the film's website.
For more details, please read the rules in short as well as the Official Rules and Regulations at the bottom of this post. You can post your questions as comments on this blog post or email ReBrick@LEGO.com.
RULES IN SHORT:
- The building contest is open to all users 16 years and older holding a ReBrick account.
- To submit an entry: The video must be uploaded to YouTube (videos submitted from other sources, such as Vimeo or Flickr might not play on ReBrick and will inhibit voting) and then bookmarked in the Building Challenge category. Make sure to add the extended link and not the short URL (on YouTube choose ‘share’ and then fold down ‘options’ and check the ‘long link’ box), otherwise the video wouldn’t play on ReBrick.
- Entries must incorporate the theme of “What is an AFOL?”.
- The contest begins August 1st 2013 at 9:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time (EST) (that’s 3:00 P.M. Central European Time (CET). Entries submitted to ReBrick before this date and time will not be accepted into the contest. The competition is open for submissions until August 30th 2013[u1] at 8:59 A.M. EST (2:59 CET).
- Video must be less than 2 minutes long.
- Videoes must use elements from the LEGO collection in a stop motion animation.
- You must capture your film using these specifications: 1920 x 1080 H.264 MPEG @ 24fps (23.98).
- Any LEGO Minifigures featured in your film should only be from LEGO Group created IPs, such as LEGO City, Knights and Kingdom, etc. and should NOT be from a LEGO Group licensed set such as Star Wars or Harry Potter.
- A team of judges will review all and select one (1) grand prize winner, and one (1) second place winner. These winners will be reviewed based on creativity, originality and theme.
- The jury will consist of:
- Peter Espersen, Online Community Lead
- Brickumentary Film Directors
- Official Judging will begin at 9:00 A.M. EST (3:00 P.M. CET) on September 2nd 2013 and will end at 9:00 A.M. EST on September 6th 2013 (2:59 P.M. CET).
- Entries must only contain elements from the LEGO® collection and no customized parts. Any use of the LEGO logo will also result in disqualification.
- Entries must not use copyrighted music or sound effects. Make sure you have the rights to use any audio in your video.
- All entries and entrants must follow the ReBrick House Rules.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow the official rules. Any form of cheating will result in a banning of user profile from ReBrick.
One (1) grand winner will receive a prize of:
- The chance to be featured during in Brickumentary currently in production by Futuristic Films.
- The chance to be commissioned to do further brickfilms for use in The Brickumentary (terms to be discussed with the winner exclusively).
- 10234 LEGO Creator Sydney Opera House™ Signed by LEGO Designer Jamie Berard
Sara, Freddie, Peter and the Team at Futuristic Films.
LEGO® ReBrick Show Us an AFOL Competition - OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MANY WILL ENTER; FEW WILL WIN A PRIZE.
Entrants must be 16 years of age or older at the time of registration in the building Challenge.
The ReBrick “Show Us an AFOL” Competition (the “Challenge”) is a creative competition where The LEGO Group will challenge the fans of LEGO ReBrick to a movie competition where you get to create and share your own stop-motion movie. You can win LEGO Products and there is a possibility that your movie will also be used in Brickumentary by Futuristic Films (the “Film”).
The Challenge begins at August 1st, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. EST (Eastern Standard Time) and runs until August 30th, 2013 at 8:59 a.m. EST (“Challenge Period”).
How to enter
To submit a movie ( “Entry”) into the challenge, participants must upload a video to YouTube.com. Once uploaded, entrants must proceed to ReBrick to submit a link to the video. They will be asked to enter their existing LEGO ID and password, or register a new LEGO ID after accepting the Terms of Service. Once registered, participants will be able to submit a “bookmark” of the creation file entry in the Challenge category to be entered into the Challenge. (See “Creation Entry Details” below).
Entry Details: Once registered, entrants can submit entries into the Challenge by creating and uploading (external site) their own LEGO® video using only pieces from the LEGO® collection. The entry must be the entrant’s own work. Submit the link to the uploaded video to the special themed category: Building Challenge on ReBrick.
Once you submit your Entry, you will be officially entered into the Challenge. Challenge Entries cannot be revised or altered once submitted. Once submitted, all submitted components become the property of the LEGO Group and will not be returned. Should you experience any difficulties with any aspect of the Challenge, please send an enquiry to LEGO Consumer services and your request will be answered.
How to Win
One winner will be chosen by a LEGO and Futuristic Film jury from their favorite Entries submitted in the Challenge Period.
The winning Entry will be judged by the LEGO jury upon:
- Best overall coolness and originality
- Most inspired details (creativity)
- Best storyline (use of the theme)
We want you to make your Entry as amazing as possible. However, you need to consider the following when creating your Entry:
- Entries with military vehicles or vehicles featuring weapons will not be eligible for the Challenge
- Entries containing defamatory elements or degrading elements will not be eligible for the Challenge
- Copies of/or infringements relating to any existing third party property or any other intellectual property right will not be eligible for the Challenge
- Use of any parts not produced by the LEGO Group will result in your Entry being disqualified
- Entry movies should not show recognizable features of any person or any commercial product
- Entries should not have been submitted previously in any competition of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly
- Entries must be made by the user submitting it
- Entries must only contain elements from the LEGO Collection, no movies with modified bricks will be accepted
- Users must capture their video using these specifications: 1920 x 1080 H.264 MPEG @ 24fps (23.98).
- Entries must be under two minutes long
- Entrants may not use LEGO Bricks in their Entries that can be clearly identified as part of a third party branded LEGO set (LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, LEGO DC Super Heroes (Batman and Superman), LEGO Cars, LEGO Toy Story, LEGO Lord of the Rings, LEGO Harry Potter, LEGO Indiana Jones, LEGO Prince of Persia, LEGO SpongeBob Squarepants, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean and LEGO Hobbit). Entrants may not use Minifigures from these sets or any decorated pieces that would identify one of these properties if used in an original creation (e.g., include a Batman figurine or SpongeBob, etc.)
The odds of winning will depend on the skill and talent of the entrant, and on the number of eligible Challenge Entries received during the Challenge Period.
The Winner will be contacted directly by The LEGO Group no later than 14 days after the first day of the month following the Challenge Period.
One (1) grand prize winner (The Winner) will receive: 10234 LEGO Creator Sydney Opera House™ Signed by LEGO Designer Jamie Berard.
The Winner may also be given the opportunity to have their Entry included in the Film. No additional compensation will be paid by Futuristic Films to the Winner if the Winner’s Entry actually appears in the Film. Whether the Winner’s Entry appears in the Film or not is subject to the filmmakers’ sole and absolute discretion and no compensation will be paid to the Winner for whatever reason if his/her Entry does not ultimately appear in the final cut of the Film that is distributed publicly. Eligibility for Prizes will be subject to signing Futuristic Films Prize Acceptance Form.
These have a maximum total estimated price value of $320 USD in retail. No cash or credit alternative is available and the Prizes are not transferable.
Who May Participate
The Challenge is international; therefore entrants from all countries and with any background are eligible to participate in the Challenge and eligible to win the Prizes, except where prohibited by applicable laws. The Challenge is not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Myanmar/Burma, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Syria, any other U.S. sanctioned country and where prohibited or restricted by law. The Challenge is not open to residents in the state of Quebec. Prizes however, will be awarded in accordance with Danish law.
Employees of companies in the LEGO Group, agencies and companies associated with the LEGO Group, e.g. suppliers related to the product line and the immediate families of such employees are not eligible contestants nor are employees , officers or directors of Futuristic Films, or any other person who is directly or indirectly involved in the organization or winning of the Challenge or their direct family members.
Intellectual property rights
You confirm and agree that your Entry is an original work and/or that you have the full rights to use any images, material or rights belonging to a third party contained in your Entry for the purposes outlined herein. By entering this Challenge, you accept that the ownership and all intellectual property rights to your Entry and any materials submitted by you are automatically awarded and completely transferred to LEGO Juris A/S, Koldingvej 2, 7190 Billund, Denmark and Futuristic Films. without any limitations to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. To this end, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally assign to or (in the case of moral rights) waiver in favour of LEGO juris A/S (to the extent permitted by applicable law), all rights, title and interest in and to the same. You agree at LEGO’s and/or Futuristic Films’ request, to take all such actions and execute all such documents as may in their sole opinion be necessary to give effect to the foregoing assignment.
You also irrevocably agree to allow the LEGO Group, Futuristic Films’ and co-marketing partners to reference and use, modify your name, photograph, interests, hometown, biographical information and statements further concerning the Challenge without compensation or notice and all content submitted by you as part of the Challenge in all media anywhere throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional permission or compensation unless prohibited by law.
You will not receive any payment or royalties for the transfer of your Entry or any intellectual property rights, nor will you receive any payment for any products that may be sold in connection hereto.
The LEGO Group and Futuristic Films can use the Entry and any intellectual rights deriving from the Entry without any limitations.
You acknowledge that the producers of the Film as well as other entrants may have created ideas and concepts contained in their submission that may have familiarities or similarities to your own submission, and that he/she will not be entitled to any compensation or right to negotiate with the LEGO, their successors, assigns, licensees and/or respective affiliates because of these familiarities or similarities. Notwithstanding any custom and practice in the industry to pay an individual for an idea (if any), nothing herein shall create an implied or express contract to compensate entrants for their submissions and there is no obligation for Futuristic Films or any affiliated entity to pay or otherwise compensate entrants for any of their ideas or materials in any communications with Lego, whatsoever.
Personal data relating to entrants will be used only for the purpose of this Challenge and post-Challenge publicity unless otherwise clearly stated and accepted by you.
The personal information you have to enter is:
- your name,
- your age,
- address and telephone number, and
- e-mail address.
If you win the Challenge your data will be transferred to Futuristic Films for the purpose of having your Entry evaluated and possibly having your Entry used in the Film. You hereby consent to such transfer including the transfer of your data to the United States.
The LEGO Group is defined as LEGO System A/S and its subsidiaries as described on http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/
General Terms and Conditions
Prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives. Any applicable taxes, governmental fees, and other expenses resulting from the prize are the sole responsibility of the Winner unless otherwise stated. The LEGO Group reserves the right to substitute a Prize of equal or greater value in the unlikely event that it becomes impractical to award the stated Prize. The Prizes will be shipped no later than 6 weeks after the draw. The Winner is deemed to have received the Prize on the day it was shipped
All entry materials become the property of the LEGO Group and will not be acknowledged or returned. False, harmful and/or deceptive Entries or acts shall render entrants ineligible.
By entering, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final.
Entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless the LEGO Group and/or Futuristic Films and each of their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns, harmless from and against any and all liability and damages associated with or arising out of an entrant’s participation in this Challenge.
In order to be certified as the Official Winner, the selected Winner must complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Prize Selection and Acceptance, and Release of Liability form, co-signed by the parent or legal guardian of the Winner in the case of a Winner who is under the age of majority in his or her country of residence.
Any Winner who does not return the properly completed documentation within ten (10) days of transmittal will be declared ineligible, and an alternate Winner will be selected.
Any potential Winner who declines to accept a Prize, has violated any of these Official Rules, does not respond to the award notification within the specified time, or is found to be ineligible will be disqualified and an alternative Winner shall be chosen. For a list of Winners, please send request, along with a stamped self-addressed envelope to LEGO ReBrick Show Us an AFOL Challenge Winners List, (LEGO Company, 33 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 3UF, UK) not later than September 9th 2013.
All Prizes to be awarded. In no case will more than the stated number of Prizes be awarded.
The LEGO Group reserves the right to alter, amend or close this Challenge if necessary. The LEGO Group reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Challenge or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. The use of any device or computer software program to automate the entry process is prohibited.
The LEGO Group is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human error; typographical or transcription error; technical malfunctions; failures, omission, interruption, deletion, or defect of any telephone network computer online systems, computer equipment, servers, providers, or software, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Challenge; inability to access any web site, theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; or transactions that are processed late or incorrectly or are incomplete or lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any web site, or printing or other errors.
Identity of the Sponsor
This Challenge is sponsored by LEGO System A/S, Aastvej 1, 7190 Billund, Denmark
The LEGO Group can be contacted in relation to the Challenge by writing a letter to LEGO Company Ltd., 33 Bath Road, Slough SL13UF, Great Britain, or by phone +441753495000 or by writing an e-mail to: ReBrick@lego.com.
LEGO, the LEGO logo, the LEGO Creator logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group of Companies. © 2013 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.